The doctor’s orders are to rest, take it easy and walk around just a little. My parents have firmly told me not to cook. The boyfriend brought strawberries. There’s fresh cream in the refrigerator. My girlfriend seriously asked me what are my plans tonight. I told her I was going to dance the night away and have a few drinks. I wish. Strawberry Shortcake will cure me through this month of being off my feet.
I truly want to make a pound cake version of this Strawberry Shortcake, but my current health is making the decisions: Carry a heavy mixer to make a pound cake or use a lighter food processor to make biscuits? The doctors orders have firmly told me to stay away from heavy objects… hence why this version uses biscuits.
Since my life has seen only the four corners of this apartment for the past couple weeks, I’ve miss the farmer’s markets, which means I’m missing strawberry season right now. Luckily, there’s Vanilla Balsamic vinegar in my pantry, in which a drizzle is added to the sliced commercial strawberries to sweeten them a bit.
I’m also thanking my lucky stars there’s fresh cream in the refrigerator. For desserts like this, I prefer to freshly whip cream with vanilla and a hint of sugar. It’s like soft serve ice cream–it’s the reason why I don’t bother with the canned, aerosol stuff.
After the Strawberry Shortcake is assembled, spoonfuls are savored and the plate has been licked clean, I feel exhausted. Now is the best time to pick up from my dessert detour to follow the doctor’s orders. It’s naptime, and MyLifeRunsOnFood.com will return in mid-July.
Vanilla Strawberry Shortcake
- 1 lb. Strawberries; cleaned, hulled and sliced
- 1/8 cup vanilla or plain red balsamic vinegar
- One recipe for Buttermilk/Yogurt Biscuits found here
- 1 pint heavy, organic cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. sugar
- In a medium bowl, lightly toss the sliced strawberries and balsamic vinegar together (Note: Use balsamic vinegar strawberries in this recipe within an hour).
- Meanwhile make and bake biscuits (recipe here).
- To Make Fresh Whipped Vanilla Cream: Pour cream into a medium bowl. Add the vanilla and sugar. Using a miniature mixer (kudos if you whisk it by hand), whisk cream until firm and airy. Set aside.
- To Assemble Strawberry Shortcake: Horizontally cut biscuits in half. Spoon strawberries over bottom half. Spoon whip cream over the strawberries. Place the other half of the biscuit over the whipped cream. Drizzle a little of the strawberry-flavored balsamic vinegar over the Strawberry Shortcake.
- Immediately enjoy!