There are many Sweet Potato Pie recipes using corn syrup. I don’t remember my grandmother and father using that super sweetener. However, I remember plenty of brown sugar. I made this for our Christmas dessert this year, and I understood I had big shoes to fill. Apparently, the boyfriend’s mother makes the best Sweet Potato Pie. I called on my dream team, the Dad and the Granny, to help me with this recipe. Even when I forgot a couple ingredients after I placed the pies in the oven, I called my Granny for reinforcements. Thank goodness she saved the day, and it was great talking with her as the pies were baking in the oven. Of course, I would never ask the boyfriend who does it better. I tell myself, I must stay humble. Oh, humble pie, I sweet you.
Granny’s Sweet Potato Pie
Ingredient Key: (Quantity for 2 Pies) Ingredient (Quantity for 4 Pies)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a flat beater, cream the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy for about four to five minutes.
- Mix in the egg yolks, spices, lemon zest and vanilla extract until incorporated.
- Mix in the flour until just incorporated.
- Switch out the flat beater for the wire whip and mix in the pureed sweet potatoes until the filling is fluffy for about four to five minutes. Whip in the fresh cream and optional bourbon.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, beat egg whites until a stiff peaks form.
- Separate the bowl filled with sweet potato filling from the mixer. Using a spatula, gently fold in the egg whites.
- Pour filling into pie shells. Decorate with pecan halves.
- Bake pies in the preheated oven at 400°F for ten mins. Then reduce heat to 350°F and bake for about one hour and 20 mins or until the pie slightly jiggles in the center.
- Remove pies from the oven onto a wire rack. Let pies completely cool. Don’t worry if the pies deflate or sink in the center. Once cooled to room temperature, place pies in a sealed container to chill for a few hours.
- Pies are best served at room temperature with a slight chill (I usually take pies out of the refrigerator for about one hour before serving).
- Roast about four pounds of sweet potatoes to make about 4 cups of mashed sweet potatoes. Discard outer peel before mashing.