This past Saturday, the boyfriend and I played Mr. and Ms. Santa Claus. This is a last minute, quick recipe for an impromptu visit to New Jersey. I also brought gingermen and gingerwomen as gifts for the kids from a bakery in Chelsea. The kids loved it.
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten’s Barefoot Contessa at Home.
1-1/2 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 and 1/4 cup sugar, separated
3 large eggs
The zest and the juice of 2 lemons, separated
½ tsp. vanilla extract
½ cup olive oil
Optional: Almond Slices
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a loaf pan with butter or olive oil.
2. Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt
3. Whisk yogurt, 1/2 cup of sugar, eggs, lemon zest and vanilla.
4. Slowly whisk the lemon batter with the dry ingredients.
5. Fold oil into the batter with a rubber spatula. Make sure all ingredients are mixed well.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan. Top with Almond Slices as a garnish. Bake for 50 minutes or until done. Cake is ready when a fork/toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, as the cake is baking, cook lemon juice and 1/4 cup of sugar over medium heat. Remove from the stove when the sugar is dissolved and the glaze is clear.
8. Place a baking rack over a cookie sheet pan. Remove the cake from the loaf pan and place on the baking rack. Use a toothpick to punch a few holes on top of the cake. Pour lemon glaze on top of the cake.
10. Let cool. Serve and enjoy.
Note, If Gifting: Wrap in saran wrap. Then lightly wrap in tissue paper. Very loosely twist the excess top and place in gift bag.
Stay up-to-date with yummy, new food posts from My Life Runs On Food via email. Subscribe today! [subscribe2]