This past Saturday, the boyfriend and I played Mr. and Ms. Santa Claus. This is a last minute, quick recipe for an impromptu visit to New Jersey. I also brought gingermen and gingerwomen cookies as gifts for the kids from a bakery in Chelsea.
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten’s Barefoot Contessa at Home.
- 1-1/2 c. flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 c. Greek yogurt
- 1/2 and 1/4 c. sugar, separated
- 3 large eggs
- The zest and the juice of 2 lemons, separated
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ c. olive oil
- Optional: Garnish with almond slices
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a loaf pan with butter or olive oil.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt
- Whisk yogurt, 1/2 cup of sugar, eggs, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Slowly whisk the lemon batter with the dry ingredients.
- Fold oil into the batter with a rubber spatula. Make sure all ingredients are mixed well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Top with almond slices as a garnish. Bake for 50 minutes or until done. Cake is ready when a fork/toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, as the cake is baking, cook lemon juice and 1/4 cup of sugar over medium heat. Remove from the stove when the sugar is dissolved and the glaze is clear.
- Place a baking rack over a cookie sheet pan. Remove the cake from the loaf pan and place on the baking rack. Use a toothpick to punch a few holes on top of the cake. Pour lemon glaze on top of the cake.
- Let cool. Serve and enjoy.