Paprika is too overqualified as a garnish. It sits in the back of most spice racks behind the thyme, basil and rosemary. Blame it on the average grocery store’s fault for offering a pretty spice with no substance.
Looking for ingredients for a spicy enchilada dish at a gourmet store, I discovered a Spanish Smoked paprika. There were three versions: bittersweet, sweet or spicy. I brought the sweet version. At home, I dipped a spoon into the paprika’s tin can for a sample taste. It wasn’t the bland paprika of my childhood memories. With this hint of taste, the future of my recipes dramatically altered. The social order of my spices shifted. Paprika was no longer limited as a garnish. It has become one of my favorite spices.
The Roast Paprika Chicken, Garbanzo Beans and Tomatoes over Couscous recipe is simple and quick. And, it’s a great recipe that shows off smoked paprika’s flavor profile.
Roast Paprika Chicken, Garbanzo Beans and Tomatoes over Couscous
Recipe adapted from Bon Appétit, May 2008
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. dried crushed red pepper (adjust to taste)
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 whole chicken; cut into parts, save the back for chicken stock (or use about 6 chicken thighs with skin and bones); season with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika
- 1-15 oz. can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
- 2 c. of grape tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 to 3 stalks of celery, diced
- (Optional) 1/2 c. red wine
- 1-1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro; divided in thirds
- 1/2 cup/5 oz. of greek yogurt
- serve with cooked couscous
- Preheat oven to 450°f.
- Whisk first seven ingredients in medium bowl to make the Paprika Oil. Set aside 3 tablespoons of oil mixture into a different bowl.
- In a large bowl, mix the rest of the paprika oil, chicken parts, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, red onion, celery, the optional red wine and the first third cup of cilantro.
- Place Paprika chicken and vegetables over a foil lined, large rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 15 to 20 minutes. Turn chicken pieces over and mix the vegetables. Cook for another 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle second-third of cilantro on top.
- Making the yogurt sauce: Whisk the 3 tablespoons of paprika oil (see step 2) with yogurt and the last third cup of cilantro. Set aside.
- Preparing the couscous: Prepare couscous according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- To plate: Put couscous onto plate. Top with chicken and vegetables. Spoon the yogurt sauce on top.