Need to add more vegetables to your diet? Start adding them to the traditional carb-fueled breakfast. Roasting French Breakfast Radishes are a savory addition to any egg dish. These oblong French Breakfast Radishes were purchased at a farmer’s market. In this recipe, pink peppercorns and green garlic chives are used to flavor this mild cousin of the rounder radish.
Pink peppercorns are mostly found at specialty stores, but they’re cheaper if brought by the bulk. In New York City, the Porto Rico Importing Co. sells them for about $2.00 per ounce. Instead of grinding them, like black and white peppercorns, their flavor is better released by crushing them. Use a garlic press for faster results.
Another beautiful find this time of year at the farmer’ market is green garlic. Did you think those bulbs were fresh, because they weren’t grounded into a dry spice? Green garlic is picked in the early phases of a fully, developed garlic bulb. It’s milder in taste, and the cloves aren’t individually defined. Often, they’re sold with their long green linear stems. Slice or snip the stems finely, to serve as a mild garnish, called garlic chives.
Roasting radishes in olive oil, pink peppercorns, sea salt, and garlic chives produces a milder flavor then the sharper, raw version often served in salads. Besides breakfast, enjoy them as a side dish to any meal of day.
- 1 bunch of French Breakfast Radishes (The rounder variety is a fine substitute)
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper; to taste
- 2 to 3 tsp.1 tbsp. pink peppercorn; crushed
- About 1 tbsp. olive oil; to taste
- 3 tbsp. finely snipped fresh green garlic chives or use any herbal chive; plus more as a garnish
- The juice of half a lemon
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Scrub clean and trim the ends of the radishes. Vertically cut radishes in half. If using the rounder variety, quarter them instead of cutting in half.
- On a foil or parchment lined baking sheet, toss radishes, spices, garlic chives, and olive oil together.
- Place baking sheet in the oven. Roast radishes for 20 to 30 minutes; until softly done. Everyone’s preferences for texture varies, but don’t over cook the vegetables.
- Toss with fresh lemon juice and more garlic chives.
- Enjoy with your favorite meal.