May we ring in the New Year on a refreshing start. The holidays gave me a few extra pounds that I intend to give away by Spring. I forgot we were invited to a Kwanzaa celebration. That means, I don’t have to cook a New Year’s dinner. After the midnight champagne toast, it’ll be nice to wake up to a citrus salad and lounge around the house until it’s time to socialize. Happy twenty-ten.
Blood Oranges, Grapes and Italian Pistachios in Rose Water
6 naval and/or blood oranges
½ cup of grapes cut in half
The juice of one lime
3 tbsp. of rose water
¼ cup of chopped Italian pistachios, toasted
Honey, to taste
1. Remove strips of orange peel and the pith with a knife. Cut oranges into slices.
2. Place orange slices into a bowl. Using a spoon, gently press on the oranges to release their juice. Pour juice into another bowl.
3. In the orange juice bowl stir in lime juice, rose water and honey.
4. Gently mix orange slices, juice, grapes and pistachios. Add honey to adjust sweetness.
5. Let ingredients marinate for at least 1 hour to over night.
5. Garnish with Coconut and serve with peppermint tea.