May we ring in the New Year on a refreshing start. The holidays gave me a few extra pounds that I intend to give away by Spring. I forgot we were invited to a Kwanzaa celebration. That means, I don’t have to cook a New Year’s dinner. After the midnight champagne toast, it’ll be nice to wake up to a citrus salad and lounge around the house until it’s time to socialize. Happy twenty-ten.
Blood Oranges, Grapes and Italian Pistachios in Rose Water
- 6 oranges; a mix of naval, blood and/or cara cara orange varieties
- ½ c. of red, seedless grapes; cut in half
- The juice of one lime
- 2 tbsp. of rose water
- ¼ c. of toasted chopped Italian pistachios
- 2 tbsp. honey, to taste
- Garnish: toasted and unsweetened coconut flakes
- Remove strips of orange peel and the pith with a knife. Cut oranges into slices.
- Place orange slices into a bowl. Using a spoon, gently press the oranges to release their juice. Pour juice into another bowl.
- In the separate bowl with the orange juice, whisk in lime juice, rose water and honey.
- Add the juice back into the bowl with the orange slices. Add the grapes. Gently toss until all the ingredients are incorporated, but do not over mix.
- Let the dish marinate for at least one hour to overnight.
- Garnish with pistachios and coconut. Serve with peppermint tea.